P90X - Bring it!

My attempt to Get Healthy (yet again)

Moderators: amerigoV, BigDog

P90X - Bring it!

Postby amerigoV » Fri Oct 17, 2008 12:28 pm

Well, I am creeping up on being all fat an unhappy (still under my original weight when I started Nutrisystem, but it is climbing slowly). My main physical activity has been karate -- while it is good exercise, it is spotty in what it really does for me. The Monday workouts are more about forms and basics -- a nice steady workout, but not much of a push. Wednesday has some self defense. At times pretty good, but not a push unless we spar at the end -- then it is the other extreme -- I burn out of energy and just spend the time playing defense.

I have seen the info-mercial for P90X several times. It has always intrigued me but I am leery of such things. But, the one thing I kept thinking about it was the honesty of the materials. It is not "play with this gizmo for 10 minutes 3 times a week and you will get this fabulous body!" type of pitch. It is - "give me an hour a day for 90 days - I'll kick your ass and make a Man (tm)* of you!" It harkens back to going into camp for two-a-days when I played football. I hated them, but I loved them as well.

* that is my paraphrasing from a macho perspective - the program is also for women

The program appears to be quite balanced -- strength training (pullups, pushups, dumbbells), plyometrics (every review or board I have seen -- this is the "hate at first, love it later" workout), cardio, kempo (martial art str/movement/cardio), yoga (balance), core (support muscle training), and Abs (the CD is called Ab Ripper X -- which sounds very painful). The program is based on muscle confusion to prevent the plateau effect (in most workouts you train for a few months, show real gains, then plateau as the muscles become "used" to the work)

I have 3 months of the nutrisystem as well (the drift before the cancel, so to speak). I figure the combo of the two should provide a great approach. Nutrisystem has a significant protein base, so along with other vegetables I should be getting key items I will need for the muscle building aspect.

I target starting around November 1st. I have a seminar late this month so I do not want to start then have an interuption. Also, I took the "test" to see if I was fit enough to do the workout -- barely passed - so it will be an uphill fight. I will take the opportunity to try a few of the workouts in anticipation of starting.

I'll try to post my impressions of the product (other than it makes you really sore) as I progress.
Jeffrey...
amerigoV
Sensei
Sensei

Re: P90X - Bring it!

Postby kramday » Fri Oct 17, 2008 1:41 pm

I've never heard of the program, but I'll keep my eyes out for the infomercial now. You listed a lot of different actives, but what type of equipment will you need? Also, where did you see the test to see if you are fit enough for the workout?

I'm in the mood to try a new program, as my weight is well above where I was when I started in January of last year. I was 230 in Jan of last year when I got on my big workout kick, got down to 200 in May last year, and I'm up to 245 currently. :( :?

Oh yeah, Good Luck!
kramday
Commissar
Commissar

Postby amerigoV » Fri Oct 17, 2008 3:07 pm

Extra stuff is just a chin-up bar (you can get them that go into a doorway without needing screws - counter weight action) and either dumbells or exercise bands (I will try the latter). If you google P90x and go to the website, you can go under "is p90x for you?" and download the test.

The hard ones are:
1. chin-ups (although you get a free pass on this one, most cannot do any)
2. Push ups (I was strong there), need to do 20 or 25
3. jumping jacks -- 2 minutes straight with the last 30 secs fast (I had trouble more from a pounding perspective vs. cardio).

They also test your verticle jump and flexibility (how close to touching your toes can you get).
Jeffrey...
amerigoV
Sensei
Sensei

Postby BigDog » Sun Oct 19, 2008 3:54 pm

Interesting. I've been walking 5x/week about 2.5-3.0 miles but almost nothing beyond that. Need to get motivated again... somehow.
"Be bold and mighty forces will come to your aid." - Goethe

"I'm shocked! Shocked I say to discover gambling in this establishment!"
"Your winnings Chief Inspector"
"Oh thank you."
BigDog
Double Dog Master
Double Dog Master

Postby amerigoV » Mon Oct 20, 2008 5:59 am

I have done the cardio DVD twice now. Some good stuff - a mix of yoga, Kempo (martial arts), plymetrics, and core. It is not a killer one, mind you. For the main program, it is an optional workout for when your body needs a break -- designed to help clean out the muscles (remove soreness) as much as to provide cardio. I can keep up pretty well, but some real areas of need. After each workout, I had a real nice all over warm feeling -- it really seemed to hit across all the muscle groups in an even manner. It really help with gaming as well (worked out just before the session) -the blue die of death really was rolling smooth during the climatic fight with a half-dragon mummy. :)

I will try a few of the other DVDs just to get a sense of the workouts. I will not start the full program until round Nov 2nd since I have a trip next week. The exercise bands and chin-up bar are on order, so timing-wise it should all come together nicely.
Jeffrey...
amerigoV
Sensei
Sensei

Postby amerigoV » Wed Oct 22, 2008 6:12 am

I did the Kenpo DVD last night. Had a blast with that one. It is close enough to Karate that I can generally substitute my techniques during the exercises. Overall, the routine was not that bad for me, as I could concentrate on doing the exercise vs. figuring out if I was doing it right (it is one thing to have muscle confusion, another to have exercise confusion). Still, there was places I needed to pause and bring my heart rate down into the proper zone.

One nice consideration on my end is that I have a standing punching bag (it uses a water-filled based for gravitas). I can foresee using the bag for "advance techniques" with this DVD -- it is one thing to kick and punch air for 40 minutes, another to have resistance.
Jeffrey...
amerigoV
Sensei
Sensei

Postby kramday » Wed Oct 22, 2008 11:30 am

It sounds like it is keeping your interest, which is always a good thing.

When you get the chin-up bar and exercise bands, can you bring them down to Columbus some weekend? I'd like to take a look at it and see what you got.
kramday
Commissar
Commissar

Postby amerigoV » Wed Oct 22, 2008 1:40 pm

The bands should come today or tomorrow. The bar hopefully next week.

I saw a commerical for a chin-up bar that had a few other gizmos -- just a few minutes 3 times a week and you can have a killer body! <rolleyes>

I may not survive on this thing, but it at least it is honest (there are 3 or so screens of warnings before the workout that it might kill you, see a doctor, etc).
Jeffrey...
amerigoV
Sensei
Sensei

Postby kramday » Wed Oct 22, 2008 2:41 pm

I have seen pictures of them on-line before, like this one.

I am just curious to see one in person.
kramday
Commissar
Commissar

Postby amerigoV » Wed Oct 22, 2008 6:41 pm

Just got the pull-up bar. I put it together in a couple of minutes and put it in a doorway (hangs in the doorway just fine). I can do about 2... :oops:

Need to get stronger and drop pounds!
Jeffrey...
amerigoV
Sensei
Sensei

Postby kramday » Wed Oct 22, 2008 8:18 pm

That is probably two more than I could do. :?

If you get a chance, take a pic of it.
kramday
Commissar
Commissar

Postby amerigoV » Wed Oct 22, 2008 8:29 pm

I think it is the same model you have in the picture you posted.
Jeffrey...
amerigoV
Sensei
Sensei

Postby BigDog » Wed Oct 22, 2008 8:58 pm

Now I want to find a bar somewhere for me to test myself... can I do one?
"Be bold and mighty forces will come to your aid." - Goethe

"I'm shocked! Shocked I say to discover gambling in this establishment!"
"Your winnings Chief Inspector"
"Oh thank you."
BigDog
Double Dog Master
Double Dog Master

Postby kramday » Wed Oct 22, 2008 10:28 pm

Maybe we can make it a monthly challenge or something. Just throwing out ideas, but maybe meet for (hopefully a healthy) lunch once a month or something and see how many we can do.

Jeff -- What is the weight limit on the one you bought?
kramday
Commissar
Commissar

Postby amerigoV » Wed Oct 22, 2008 10:33 pm

It says 300lbs. Make sure the doorway you are using is good (NOT the time to find out about shabby construction in your home....)
Jeffrey...
amerigoV
Sensei
Sensei

Next

Return to Health