Dog does the McConnell Health Center

My attempt to Get Healthy (yet again)

Moderators: amerigoV, BigDog

Re: Dog does the McConnell Health Center

Postby BigDog » Mon Dec 08, 2008 10:40 am

I'm in "probably" and "should" mode. It's sort of slid as we've been trying get over these colds the last couple weeks. Can't guarantee that I will but I'm at 80%.
"Be bold and mighty forces will come to your aid." - Goethe

"I'm shocked! Shocked I say to discover gambling in this establishment!"
"Your winnings Chief Inspector"
"Oh thank you."
BigDog
Double Dog Master
Double Dog Master

Postby BigDog » Fri Jan 09, 2009 10:44 am

Both Vickie and I signed up over the last few weeks and went through our evaluation appointments with staff from the facility. Got stress-tested and sort of baselined medically with recent bloodwork etc.

I just went this morning for my first out and out weight-lifting day. I'm starting with a circuit of equipment set out by the trainer although I expect to mix it up with free weights eventually. I warm up on the basketball court just dribbling, shooting, and creating some aerobic drills like inbounding a ball off the wall and driving to the basket. Then go to the weights, cool down back on the court and then stretch. I intend to intersperse this with pilates twice a week, at least until activity at work heats up and I lose my time flexibility.

They use FitLinxx as their tracking system so each weight machine has a digital display where you enter your ID, it tracks what you did before, it is set up with the full extension and return positions so it can guide you with a little graphic to not overextend or over-relax, also to not go too fast. It logs the weight you're doing automagically and the reps. If you're able to do your sets at 12 reps each, it prompts you to choose a new weight level for next time.

You can go on the fitlinxx.com website, login and manage your record of workouts, add stuff you did outside the FitLinxx system, etc. If you'd care to take a look, you can use my login: jldavenport and password: w0rk0ut (those are zeroes). It has the day my trainer took me through the machines (Jan 7) but I don't see today's workout yet. Try early next week as they say something about routine maintenance this weekend on the website.

If there is anyone who is interested in seeing the facility or going to one of the many classes (aquatic or normal), I have some guest passes I can use if you want to come along. Or you can take a tour any time.

"Oh thank you."
BigDog
Double Dog Master
Double Dog Master

Postby kramday » Sun Mar 01, 2009 3:18 pm

So after the first month+, how is the program going? I went to the website and it looked like you had gotten in a few workouts in Feb. Looked like a definite increase in visits towards the end of the month. Good Job! :thumbsup: I didn't look around too much, but it certainly looks interesting.
kramday
Commissar
Commissar

Postby BigDog » Sun Mar 01, 2009 4:53 pm

Yea, early Feb dealing with parents exhausted me but I got three days of lifting this week. I haven't been going to the pilates this week because of work/schedule conflicts, but I might try other classes there.

I'm still pretty positive about the place, but we are wondering about some of their instructors (pushing people too hard, getting people hurt). I'm not sure they are monitoring those hires quite enough, but ah well.

Went in Saturday and there were a bunch of hospital residents playing basketball on the court. I usually go there to do aerobic warm-ups and I'm trying to fight the urge to play again somehow. I'd never be able to keep myself from reaching with the left shoulder the wrong way... it would be inevitable that I'd hurt the tear there again... maybe. I do miss playing a lot.

I haven't looked at the online readouts for weeks, but I'm getting up there in weight on the initial weight routine they have me set on. I'm going to re-evaluate my form and such with one of their people since I'm feeling some of them more in my joint than in my muscles. I need to add some new things to the mix, but all-in-all, I'm happy with the progress I've made. I think I can see some improvement in my arms, etc.

Thanks for checking in on it. Encouragement is always helpful.

"Oh thank you."
BigDog
Double Dog Master
Double Dog Master

Postby kramday » Tue Mar 03, 2009 12:47 am

Sounds like you have a decent plan. Are you using their pool/whirlpool/sauna at all? The pool and whirlpool is the one thing that I really miss from the Westerville Community Center.
kramday
Commissar
Commissar

Postby BigDog » Tue Mar 03, 2009 2:03 am

I haven't yet, though Vickie enjoys them.

"Oh thank you."
BigDog
Double Dog Master
Double Dog Master

Postby BigDog » Tue Mar 03, 2009 11:23 am

Gawd today's workout kicked my butt. I haven't been able to do the cardio classes because of work conflicts, but I need to work on that more, find something different to do from their offerings. It made a nice counter-balance to the weights and kept my energy levels up.

"Oh thank you."
BigDog
Double Dog Master
Double Dog Master

Postby BigDog » Sun Mar 15, 2009 7:06 am

I think I lifted Tuesday, out of town Wednesday, walked dogs Thursday, nothing Friday, nothing Saturday, traveling today but we'll see what the workout room is like at the hotel... too many big distractions and I'm feeling it when I don't go.

"Oh thank you."
BigDog
Double Dog Master
Double Dog Master

Postby BigDog » Thu Mar 19, 2009 2:29 pm

Work travel is killing me. Not finding time to exercise. Each meal is too big, too rich, too many sauces. Up too late. Too much caffeine (any caffeine is too much). Gotta get a different mode of operations when I'm Quebec or I'll outgrow my clothes... Maybe after this first time when so many other people were here it will settle down and I can get into a routine. Warmer weather might make it easier to just take a walk (which I did twice but never got to the workout room, at least yet).

"Oh thank you."
BigDog
Double Dog Master
Double Dog Master

Postby BigDog » Sun Mar 22, 2009 9:39 pm

Haven't been to McConnell in a week+. I DID walk the dogs yesterday and today as well as several hours of moving dirt, a tree, etc. So, active but I need to find a way to get back to McConnell now that my work has really revved up.

"Oh thank you."
BigDog
Double Dog Master
Double Dog Master

Postby BigDog » Fri Mar 27, 2009 3:01 pm

After ~2 weeks absence, I made it to McConnell today to lift weights. I held my own okay, losing a couple reps in some lifts but not having to retreat in weight...

"Oh thank you."
BigDog
Double Dog Master
Double Dog Master

Previous

Return to Health