Big Dog and Exercise

My attempt to Get Healthy (yet again)

Moderators: amerigoV, BigDog

Big Dog and Exercise

Postby BigDog » Wed Sep 23, 2009 7:21 pm

No grand promises (he says surveying the graveyard of Good Intention Threads here in the Health section) but I felt like Mark deserved some company here.

Let's see, I'm still getting over some sort of sinus/bronchitis thing and my root canal which has sort of sapped me. But last week I did a lot of walking and went canoeing one day. I've been walking the dogs about every other day, though not for any impressive distance.

A couple months ago I'd spiked in weight up to 295 which I'm sure was doing my Triglycerides and other bloodwork a world of hurt. I trimmed my bad eating habits enough to get it back into the 280s but like the last twenty years of my life, it needs to be in the 270s and then the 260s.... I won't speculate beyond that until I actually get there.

I stopped my McConnell membership because Vickie wasn't able to go any more and any free time was sucked up this summer in moving dirt and other yard 'exercise' (hence my awesome tan this year... hey! For a Scotsman it is rather impressive...). But the idea was to go back once the outdoor work wrapped up. I need to plan on that once the leaf season winds down and we wrap up this year's projects.

Tried to do Tennis this summer and made it to 5-6 sessions before work travel nuked the end of it. I keep meaning to play with G-$ but work and my stay-cation last week and sick this week... something conspires to screw it up, if nothing more than forgetfulness.

Cheery, eh? :) Well, I can wear my ring (an important weight metric) and my eating could be worse. I haven't been a complete lump but I just need to up my game plan. This is a start to that effort...
"Be bold and mighty forces will come to your aid." - Goethe

"I'm shocked! Shocked I say to discover gambling in this establishment!"
"Your winnings Chief Inspector"
"Oh thank you."
BigDog
Double Dog Master
Double Dog Master

Re: Big Dog and Exercise

Postby kramday » Thu Sep 24, 2009 1:08 pm

Hey Big,

Thanks for the company. It was getting lonely in here. :) If I am remembering correctly, that sickness has been lingering for a while. Have you seen a doc about it?

Good luck with the game plan. I know I am only 24 days into my new program, but I am feeling really good at the moment. What seems to have worked for me was looking back at 2007. Then I had two clear goals (200 lbs. and the Tour de Cure) and lots of public support and "pressure". The other thing that I was doing then was really trying to plan my eating schedule for each day. I don't always know what I am going to eat, but I know when I am going to eat based on the work and evening schedule. That has drastically cut down my snacking.

The thing that killed me was a couple of issues in my personal life (death of my cat and a shitty description of the future at Qwest from my then boss), and that I didn't have any goals for after I achieved the first two. The fact that the cat died two days after I hit 200.5 and the day before my conversation with my boss was brutal.

I don't know if any of those specifics are helpful to you, but I do think looking back to see what worked before is always a good idea.
kramday
Commissar
Commissar

Postby JO » Sun Nov 01, 2009 10:34 am

Good for you two. I am happy to see that you are both working hard on the fitness thing.

Mark, I hadn't realized what a one/two punch you had in 2007. Sucky timing.

Jim, how has it been going lately?

I will gladly be here for your support and to put the pressure on. Keep up the good work...but I will still have bad dessert choices on gaming nights!
The last thing I want to do is hurt you. But it's still on my list.

Lord, grant me the Serenity. Just that, just grant me the Serenity. I'll take care of the rest! Shiny!
JO
She Who Must Be Obeyed
She Who Must Be Obeyed

Postby BigDog » Sun Nov 01, 2009 11:09 am

Exercise is off and on, getting most working in the yard still for the annual Battle of Leaves. Vickie and I are working together to trim down by the end of the year, so we'll see if the buddy-system works.
"Be bold and mighty forces will come to your aid." - Goethe

"I'm shocked! Shocked I say to discover gambling in this establishment!"
"Your winnings Chief Inspector"
"Oh thank you."
BigDog
Double Dog Master
Double Dog Master

Return to Health