Contest w/my nephew

My attempt to Get Healthy (yet again)

Moderators: amerigoV, BigDog

Contest w/my nephew

Postby kramday » Tue Nov 23, 2010 3:04 pm

I have been thinking some about a contest I want to do with my nephew, Austin. This is what I have so far. It is a race 150 points. For the first 30 days, this is the point breakout that can be earned each day.

Healthy breakfast + 1
Exercise + 1
Food/Exercise Log + 1
Chore (specified by his mom) + 1
Fast Food – 1
Red/Blue @ School -1

I need one more + 1 item that would be daily to get it to a possible 5 points available every day. It might be a second chore, but does anyone have any other suggestions? Then I want to add some bonus points, for things like finishing a book and having consecutive days of doing all the + 1 dailies. Since my goal is to lose weight, then I'm also going to include bonus points if the scale is lower than the last time I weighed myself. I'm only going to count official Monday/Wednesday/Friday weigh-ins. I would love some suggestions hhere as well.

I am also thinking that each 30 days the list of + 1 dailies might change or be tweaked. Change the chores out for different ones. Maybe keep the chores from last month as bonus points.

Overall, I think I have a decent handle on the general plan. However, I want to add a twist, which is the main reason I am posting for suggestions. I would like to have the contest have some kind of ninja thing to it. For part of it, I have a bunch of Japanese cookbooks from the library to get some basic recipes. The other areas that I was thinking would be the exercising and rewards. An example reward might be a trip to a rock climbing wall, to practice the ninja art of entering a building. Just fun things like that, but around a theme.

But that last part is where I need the most help with. How would you suggest I ninja-fy the contest?
kramday
Commissar
Commissar

Re: Contest w/my nephew

Postby amerigoV » Tue Nov 23, 2010 3:36 pm

I stumbled across this (and Monte Cook said something akin to this as well):
http://www.wired.com/gaming/virtualworlds/commentary/games/2008/08/gamesfrontiers_0811

You must wear black pajamas while eating?
Jeffrey...
amerigoV
Sensei
Sensei

Postby BigDog » Tue Nov 23, 2010 4:11 pm

Kudos to you, buddy.

Ninja rewards? Go out to a Japanese restaurant for dinner? Give him a sword-fighting combat tournament (with the padded swords from Origins and yourself)? Stop by the Asian Zone at Carriage Place (although they probably have a lot of stuff he isn't old enough for so that's your call whether getting something there with limitations would still be cool)? Visit the Tensuke Market near Kenny and Henderson where they have a bunch of Japanese food in Japanese packaging, he could get some crazy food there, or do lunch and watch the 24 loop of crazy Japanese game shows on the TV on the cafe side? I don't know how much HE is into ninja stuff... black pajamas? :)
"Be bold and mighty forces will come to your aid." - Goethe

"I'm shocked! Shocked I say to discover gambling in this establishment!"
"Your winnings Chief Inspector"
"Oh thank you."
BigDog
Double Dog Master
Double Dog Master

Postby kramday » Tue Nov 23, 2010 4:58 pm

He does love the Japanese steakhouse, that is very true. :)

Thanks for the suggestions guys. I'll confess to being pretty clueless about the Asian places around town, so definitely a few new place to check out. I tried the points thing before with some decent success. But this time I want to count the points up instead of just subtracting them for mess-ups.

I wanted to get him a bow and arrow, some throwing stars, and a ninja sword. But my sister but the kibosh on that. As for the black pajamas, ninja's now don't even need to where them. When my nephew things ninja, he probably thinks Naruto who runs around in an orange jumpsuit. Kids these days. :)

We are starting tomorrow, so I'll make sure I start putting my updates on here.
kramday
Commissar
Commissar

Return to Health