South Beach

My attempt to Get Healthy (yet again)

Moderators: amerigoV, BigDog

South Beach

Postby amerigoV » Mon May 16, 2011 4:21 pm

I'm getting my speedo ready - I officially started the South Beach diet today. I informally started last week, but I knew Vegas would make it tough (but I still lost a pound). Since I have been back, I have taken a phased approach to get my fitness back on track:

1. I hired a personal trainer. The main reason is to be accountable to someone. I am paying her to nag me (thus, I am apt to listen to it vs. nagging from the wife, for example)
2. On the advice of 1, I did an herbal cleanse. Lost 4 pounds.
3. Joined the Worthington Community Center. I target to get there when it opens (6am) every weekday. So far, I think I have only missed one day that I was not travelling.
4. The current workout is irrelevent - I am just trying to establish the habit. Just doing some cardio and a few things my PT suggested
5. Started SB. This is supposed to have a nice jump start with a 6-8 lb loss in the first 2 weeks.
6. If 5. gives the weight loss, then P90X is back on the horizon ("Bring It"). I feel I need to be under 200lb to effectively utilize the program. Heavier than 200 I feel like I am just fighting against myself.

I am rebuilding my fitness support network. There is still some BBall at Uncle John's Park on Thursdays - I will probably join back up (so I might request a change in gaming night - but I am not there yet). Anyone that wants to do the SB diet, P90x, or another activity let me know.
Jeffrey...
amerigoV
Sensei
Sensei

Re: South Beach

Postby BigDog » Mon May 16, 2011 8:23 pm

Good job! More power to you. Keep us up to date.
"Be bold and mighty forces will come to your aid." - Goethe

"I'm shocked! Shocked I say to discover gambling in this establishment!"
"Your winnings Chief Inspector"
"Oh thank you."
BigDog
Double Dog Master
Double Dog Master

Postby JO » Fri May 20, 2011 7:26 am

Good job Jeff! Keep up the motivation.
The last thing I want to do is hurt you. But it's still on my list.

Lord, grant me the Serenity. Just that, just grant me the Serenity. I'll take care of the rest! Shiny!
JO
She Who Must Be Obeyed
She Who Must Be Obeyed

Postby amerigoV » Fri May 20, 2011 8:06 am

As of this am - I am officially down 11.3 lbs (almost shitting distance to 200 - > 203.2). I am halfway through Phase 1 of SB, and that loss (3-4 lbs in a week) is pretty typical. So I should be right around 200 (14-15 lbs off) by the time I start Phase 2.

Phase 2 will be slower weight loss by design of the diet. Plus, I cannot handle any more kids and have a minor surgery coming up to fix that - so my excercise will slow for a couple of weeks in June. But starting July, I think P90X is back in the picture. I have the vids set up on my ipod and ipad and can now do them anywhere (home, gym, on the road, at gaming, etc). I did some Ab Ripper yesterday (ouch!) and I did about 1/2 the legs and back today. Right now I am not tracking anything, just figuring out how I can integrate the routines at the gym.

My trip to Vegas showed me that I can still make advancements in fitness by making sure I work out and understanding what I need to avoid. A couple of days ago I was at a restaurant here downtown and they had Talapia as the special. So I ordered it with double veggies instead of the rice. I was feeling all good until the waiter brought out a white diner roll and set it in front of me. I almost said "take it away" but I decided to have Test of Wills. I had to spend a Bennie, but the diner roll remained uneaten.
Then yesterday I went into a meeting (it was all day for everyone else, just an hour for me). I came in around 11am. Breakfast was still out - juice, bagels/danishes, and fruit. Not a thing I could touch. Then lunch rolled in - mostly pasta. I fled the room when my stuff was done.

Overall, I am pretty pumped about it.
Jeffrey...
amerigoV
Sensei
Sensei

Postby kramday » Fri May 20, 2011 1:02 pm

Great job. I'm not really familar with the South Beach plan, how long does Phase 1 last? Also, I was a bit surprised that you said you couldn't eat any of the fruit at the meeting.
kramday
Commissar
Commissar

Postby kramday » Sat May 21, 2011 2:25 pm

How did the yoga go today?
kramday
Commissar
Commissar

Postby amerigoV » Sat May 21, 2011 2:52 pm

Brutal. Its power yoga - pretty fast pace. I kept up for the first 1/2 hour, then began to fade. But Wendy said I did fantastic for the first session. Knowledge of some of the positions helped. It reminded me the first day of two-a-days - it kills you no matter what because you do not know how to pace yourself.
Jeffrey...
amerigoV
Sensei
Sensei

Return to Health