North Beach

My attempt to Get Healthy (yet again)

Moderators: amerigoV, BigDog

North Beach

Postby BigDog » Fri May 20, 2011 10:44 am

Okay, I am trying to get back on the bandwagon of fitness after a pretty sluggish winter and spring. I've signed up for two nights of tennis league this summer and I'm doing my best to get over a right elbow strain sustained this February to be able to participate in both all summer. I'm making some changes to my bike to make it easier to ride (it isn't really scaled to my proportions properly) so Vickie and I can go riding together more regularly. As always, there is the 1-2 mile walk with the dogs that I need to make more consistent.

Diet-wise, I getting more and more on board with the no-wheat and trying to cheat as little as possible. I need to improve my diet on business trips as much as I can. I'm actively looking for other non-overwhelming changes I can make to my diet and just get accustomed to like the no-wheat. (If I eat a lot of wheat now I don't feel great and my acne acts up so its easier to stay off it... it also doesn't taste as good as I "remember").
"Be bold and mighty forces will come to your aid." - Goethe

"I'm shocked! Shocked I say to discover gambling in this establishment!"
"Your winnings Chief Inspector"
"Oh thank you."
BigDog
Double Dog Master
Double Dog Master

Re: North Beach

Postby amerigoV » Fri May 20, 2011 1:12 pm

JIm, you might read the South Beach diet book. I found it very educational on how the body responds to food, both in isloation and in combination. Even armed with moderate knowlege I feel I can make better decisions at resaurants. I'm not saying its the perfect diet, but it does have a few things that might help you:

1) Phase 1 reboots your system to drop the carb cravings
2) Phase 2 adds back some carbs, but only certain ones (basically whole foods -- eat an apple or an orange but not the juice, whole grain bread, etc).
3) Adds just enough carbs to hold your weight once you get to the level you want.

Just a complete side thought for Vickie. Is it any wheat product or just processed wheats? For example, the flour in white bread is so refined that (1) they have to add back nuitriants (so called "enriched") and (2) the body treats it like table sugar. Whole grain absorbs into your system much slower. Just wondering if that is a factor.
Jeffrey...
amerigoV
Sensei
Sensei

Postby BigDog » Fri May 20, 2011 9:42 pm

amerigoV wrote:Just a complete side thought for Vickie. Is it any wheat product or just processed wheats? For example, the flour in white bread is so refined that (1) they have to add back nuitriants (so called "enriched") and (2) the body treats it like table sugar. Whole grain absorbs into your system much slower. Just wondering if that is a factor.

It's any wheat (or almost any other grain) in any form unfortunately.

"Oh thank you."
BigDog
Double Dog Master
Double Dog Master

Postby amerigoV » Sat May 21, 2011 6:24 am

It was a shot.
Jeffrey...
amerigoV
Sensei
Sensei

Postby BigDog » Mon May 23, 2011 6:38 am

We appreciate the thought.

Well, my plans have been wrenched a bit. I'm sitting here now briefly with back spasms that began yesterday. My back has been a bit off since those ridiculous day-long plane rides to and from Anchorage a couple weeks ago. My attempt to get ready for tennis leagues starting this week in combination with doing a ton of work getting ready for a party we gave here Saturday night as part of our church auction, did me in. I'm trying to get into the doctor this morning and hopefully some muscle relaxants and further inertness will let it calm down. But exercising is on hold for the moment...

"Oh thank you."
BigDog
Double Dog Master
Double Dog Master

Postby kramday » Mon May 23, 2011 11:03 am

Ouch. A wonky back can definitely do you in. Good luck with getting it to calm down.
kramday
Commissar
Commissar

Postby BigDog » Mon May 23, 2011 10:14 pm

Muscle relaxants, doing nothing, therapeutic massage Wed morning, hopefully I'll be recovering by the weekend.

"Oh thank you."
BigDog
Double Dog Master
Double Dog Master

Postby kramday » Mon May 23, 2011 11:13 pm

Not exactly critical in the bigger picture, but hope it doesn't cause you to miss gaming.
kramday
Commissar
Commissar

Postby Sin » Tue May 24, 2011 6:43 am

Good luck Big! Hope I didn't make it worse with the tennis.

- G$
"Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities." - Voltaire
Sin
Superior Master
Superior Master

Postby BigDog » Tue May 24, 2011 7:59 am

Sin wrote:Good luck Big! Hope I didn't make it worse with the tennis.

- G$

You didn't make it worse with the tennis. I did. :) Supposedly once it stops hurting, I can start to ease myself back into activities, so I hope to not miss much more tennis if I can get it to unclench and relax this week.

I expect to be at gaming.

"Oh thank you."
BigDog
Double Dog Master
Double Dog Master

Return to Health