January 100 Challenge

My attempt to Get Healthy (yet again)

Moderators: amerigoV, BigDog

January 100 Challenge

Postby kramday » Mon Jan 01, 2007 4:33 pm

GOAL: Create Healthy Habits

COMMENT: I'm not going to worry about actual weight lost this month. I just want to get back into the habit of exercising and start to eat a little better.

WORKOUT SCHEDULE
Monday: cardio, 30 mins (Probably bike on trainer)
Tuesday: cardio, 30 mins (Probably bike on trainer), WCC 60 mins in evening (w/Personal Trainer)
Wednesday: cardio, 30 mins (Probably bike on trainer)
Thursday: cardio, 30 mins (Probably bike on trainer), WCC 60 mins in evening
Friday: cardio, 30 mins (Probably bike on trainer), Volleyball in evening
Saturday: Stretching Workout
Sunday: WCC 60 mins

MEAL SCHEDULE
Four meals per day, one cheat meal per week.

STARTING STATS
WEIGHT: 230 pounds
BODY FAT: 31%

END STATS
WEIGHT: 219.5 pounds
BODY FAT: 29.1%

KNOWN EXCEPTIONS
Jan 2nd: Since we are gaming that night, I will not be going to the gym and meeting the trainer.
Jan 5th: The volleyball league doesn't start until the following week.
Jan 15th: I will be babysitting my nephew this day and gaming that night. So I don't know that I will be able do my cardio on this day.
Jan 23rd/24th: Normally I would meet my trainer on Tuesday nights. However, this week we will meet on Wednesdays. That means no gym requirement on the 23rd and one added for the 24th.

DAILY LOG

JAN 1: Man, I had forgotten how it is riding on that trainer. Still, I'm off to a good start for the challenge.
-0 points [100 points]

JAN 2: The trainer was easier today, so that was a good sign. I feel pretty good that I'll be able to eat my meals as planned today, but snacking is always an issue at gaming. Update: Well, gaming went pretty well actually. I did piece on grapes most of the night and there was a very small piece of chocolate cake. But it isn't a complete deprivation type diet, it is to build habits. And having a small piece of cake on occasion is something that I can live with.
-0 points [100 points]

JAN 3: The trainer continues to feel better, which is encouraging. I had been thinking that I needed to do cardio on my lunch break for a while now, and it feels good to actually be doing it. Nothing exciting with the eating today, but I guess that is a good thing.
-0 points [100 points]

JAN 4: Well, work got me today and I didn't get on the bike at lunch. Oh well, I should be able to make it to the gym tonight still. Update: I did actually make it to the gym tonight. I didn't lift but 25 mins on the recumbent bike and 20 mins on the elliptical machine.
-1 points [99 points]

JAN 5: I had my cheat meal for lunch today, as Dugger and I went to Bob Evans. Farmer's Market omelet, home fries, and biscuits. Pretty tasty. :) Still need to do cardio today and keep the rest of the meals on track. Update: I didn't get on the bike trainer tonight, however I did get on the Gazelle. It isn't really as good of a workout as the trainer, but it is a nice change of pace.
-0 points [99 points]

JAN 6: Well, it felt pretty good to stretch today. I didn't do anything real elaborate. In fact, I should probably do the basic stretches every day. But baby steps. Unfortunately, I did have a hankering for Wendy's Jr. Bacon Cheeseburgers. Probably really just a desire for the bacon, I would guess. I shall have to buy the fake Morningstar Farms bacon the next time I go to the store.
-1 points [98 points]

JAN 7: Pretty decent workout at the gym today. I did 28 mins on the elliptical and 17 on the stationary bike. I had planned on 25 and 20 mins on each, but the elliptical I was on is pre-set for 28 mins.
-0 points [98 points]

JAN 8: Well, a crappy way to end the day, but I did eat fairly decently today and got on the bike trainer.
-0 points [98 points]

JAN 9: Pretty decent day today. I managed to do the Gazelle during the day and go to the gym at night. My trainer's son got hurt today so she couldn't make it to the gym. We are meeting Thursday instead. That meant I only did cardio on the recumbent bike tonight.
-0 points [98 points]

JAN 10: Too busy at work today to do cardio and too tired after work to get on the trainer or the Gazelle. In fact I actually feel asleep on the couch for an hour or so. No real complaints, but might have been feeling the effects of yesterday's double cardio.
-1 points [97 points]

JAN 11: A pretty good day today. I made myself get on the Gazelle at lunch for work and then had a pretty good workout at the gym tonight. It was the first time that I had done any lifting in a while, so it probably felt heavier than it normally would have.
-0 points [97 points]

JAN 12: I evidently did the elliptical machine at the gym harder than I thought, because I was pretty sore today. Of course, having to do the walking lunges (forward and sideways) probably had something to do with that as well. Still, I managed to get on the Gazelle at lunch tonight. Volleyball was just the "practice" session before the league starts tomorrow. We only played for an hour or so, and not very hard at that. Still, I am pretty rocked at the moment. Legs are tight and I can definitely tell I was jumping on a concrete floor.
-0 points [97 points]

JAN 13: I had my cheat meal for the week today. I went to Wendy's and did the Big Bacon Classic combo. It was interesting to compare it to how I have been trying to see, as it was a ton of food. I still ate it all, naturally, but it was a very full feeling afterward. I didn't really do the stretching workout, but I did make sure to stretch the legs today.
-0 points [97 points]

JAN 14: Another decent day today. I made it to the gym and rode the stationary bike. Then I sat in the whirlpool for about twenty minutes or so. That was particularly nice. :D
-0 points [97 points]

JAN 15: I found out this morning that I am not actually watching my nephew. However, I have decided that I am going to take the day off from cardio still and give my legs a break. Update: I just got back from gaming and it was pretty good from an eating perspective. Jo made Orange Chicken with rice and green beans. The dessert was strawberries and angel food cake. Plus nothing to snack on throughout the session.
-0 points [97 points]

JAN 16: I had some good motivation from the scale today. It read 224.5 lbs, which was very nice to see. I got on the Gazelle at lunch for 20 mins, but the real workout was at the gym tonight. I did 15 mins on the recumbent bike before the trainer showed up. Then it was a good lifting workout, followed by another 30 mins on the stationary bike. I actually did the interval workout on the bike that I haven't done in several months. So, I am pretty pleased with the way it went today.
-0 points [97 points]

JAN 17: I felt pretty good today. I managed to get on the Gazelle and go somewhat hard for lunch. It was 24 mins, but that is how long the play list on my MP3 player was. Eating went pretty well also. I had people over tonight, so there was no temptation to snack. That always helps.
-0 points [97 points]

JAN 18: Another really good day with the current program. I actually wore the HR monitor on the Gazelle at lunch today. It was typically around 100-104 BPM during the workout. At the gym, I kind of compared the levels on the elliptical machine and it was about at the low end of resistance. But I do think I could get the HR up on the Gazelle if I knew I wasn't do anything that night. I might try on Monday and see how it goes.
-0 points [97 points]

JAN 19: Man am I sore. I did the Gazelle at lunch today, but didn't try to push myself. That was because the volleyball league started for real tonight. I would probably be sore anyway, but I slipped at one point and banged my knee into the floor. Overall, it was fun to be playing again but I feel like someone hit me with a baseball bat at the moment. As for eating, after the games were over a group of us went to Donatos. I had a personal veggie pizza and Sprite, so it wasn't too bad of a cheat meal. However, it does still count as the cheat meal for the week.
-0 points [97 points]

JAN 20: Once again all I really did today was try to stretch at different points in the day. I woke still really sore from volleyball, but by mid-afternoon I actually wasn't feeling to bad. I could still feel everything that was sore, but it wasn't really bothering me.
-0 points [97 points]

JAN 21: A very busy day today. I got up and shoveled snow then went to the gym. I actually wore my HR monitor while shoveling the drive, which was interesting. I was out there almost an hour exactly and it was pretty much pegged right at 130 every time I looked at it. At the gym, I went really hard on the elliptical machine, keeping my heart rate between 140 and 150. Then I saw in the whirlpool for 15 minutes or so, which really nice.
-0 points [97 points]

JAN 22: Another really good day today. I got on the Gazelle and tried to actually go a little harder than I do on days when I'm going to the gym later on. Of course, I forgot to wear the HR monitor, but I felt like I was able to elevate my heart rate more than normal. My sister is doing Weight Watchers and I talked to her some more about that. I don't know if I am going to do the program, but it is another thing to look at and think about food.
-0 points [97 points]

JAN 23: Pretty decent day today. I decided to go to the gym anyway, even though I wasn't meeting Carrie until tomorrow. I did a half-hour on the stationary bike and pushed myself with doing intervals. Then, I got on the elliptical machine for another 15 mins and again went pretty hard. Maybe too hard as my heart rate was well over 160 for most of the elliptical.
-0 points [97 points]

JAN 24: I met the trainer at the gym today. She is moving in about a month, so I asked her to put together a few workouts for me to do once she is gone. We went over the first one last night, which was on a pulley machine. It is basically a machine that has movable levers that control the angle of the pulley. While some exercises are somewhat limited, it can basically be used for a whole body workout. I then did half an hour on the elliptical and 15 mins on the stationary bike. I didn't go quite as hard as the day before (my legs wouldn't let me quite honestly), I did go pretty hard still. I was very pleased with the workout. Next week when we meet we are doing the health assessment.
-0 points [97 points]

JAN 25: I made it to the gym for the third night in a row, so I'm pretty pleased with that. I only did a half hour on the elliptical machine and then sat in the whirlpool. I felt like my legs deserved a mini-break after the last two nights at the gym and doing the Gazelle this afternoon.
-0 points [97 points]

JAN 26: Going to Rite Bite screwed up my afternoon today. That combined with a conference call afterwards meant that I never made it on the Gazelle today. Oh well, things happen. Volleyball tonight was pretty good. I am incredibly sore, as usual, though I think I will be fine tomorrow. I played pretty well tonight, which is always a plus. Afterwards we went to Wendells, where I got the Bacon Swiss burger and fries. So that was obviously my cheat me, though I did pass on having a beer tonight.
-1 points [96 points]

JAN 27: I woke up this morning still kind of sore from volleyball, but not as bad when I went to bed. Surprisingly, my abs were sore which I don't remember that from volleyball in the past. I did my stretching routine, so that probably helped some as well.
-0 points [96 points]

JAN 28: It was kind of a strange day today. I was supposed to meet my mom and sister for lunch. But my sister is sick, so I ended up meeting Jeff and Christine instead. We went to Applebees and I got their Confetti Chicken and veggies. It was pretty tasty, but a small portion. Still I made it through lunch and went to the gym. I only did 30 mins on the stationary bike, stretched, and sat in the hot tub. I was still a little sore from volleyball, but no real complaints today. I did not shovel snow today though, partially because it didn't come down heavy enough until after it was dark.
-0 points [96 points]

JAN 29: Today was a decent day. I did the Gazelle during my lunch and ate pretty much exactly according to my plan going into the day. Pretty pleased.
-0 points [96 points]

JAN 30: Really good day today. I ate as planned and hit the gym hard tonight. I also did a fitness assessment with the trainer tonight, which I'll put in a separate post tomorrow. The big news was the weight was 219.5 lbs. I'm very happy with that indeed.
-0 points [96 points]

JAN 31: I did the Gazelle at lunch today and ate as planned. All in all a pretty simple way to end a great month.
-0 points [96 points]
kramday
Commissar
Commissar

Postby kramday » Wed Jan 31, 2007 11:49 pm

Wahoo!! I made it through the month doing the Challenge. I have to admit that I feel pretty good at the moment. Here are some final numbers for the month.

Weight lost: 10 pounds
Trips to the Gym: 13
Workouts on the Gazelle: 15
Workouts on the Bike Trainer: 4
Volleyball Nights: 3

You can see the Workout Calendar here.
kramday
Commissar
Commissar

Postby amerigoV » Thu Feb 01, 2007 8:23 am

Great work! My workouts have not been bad, but the Crunch work of January has hurt my karate attendence.
Jeffrey...
amerigoV
Sensei
Sensei

Postby BigDog » Thu Feb 01, 2007 9:51 am

Good going, Mark. I got a run in for the first time in a week yesterday, and felt sore for the time away. Still eating better, struggling with old snacking habits, but I'm facing each day with a better attitude.
"Be bold and mighty forces will come to your aid." - Goethe

"I'm shocked! Shocked I say to discover gambling in this establishment!"
"Your winnings Chief Inspector"
"Oh thank you."
BigDog
Double Dog Master
Double Dog Master

Postby kramday » Thu Feb 01, 2007 10:27 am

Thanks for the encouragement. It always helps.
kramday
Commissar
Commissar

Postby Carlo » Thu Feb 01, 2007 2:09 pm

Looks like your doing good all around, congratz on the weight this month.

I got cocky the other night and went to the advanced kick boxing class and then stayed for the regular boxing class after that (2 hours of constant motion). It was good for me but I'm paying for it in soreness :D
3rd Independent Assault Brigade
72nd Mechanized Brigade,
47th Mechanized Brigade,
so many more....
Slava Ukraine!
Carlo
Warlord
Warlord

Return to Health