Misc Thoughts

My attempt to Get Healthy (yet again)

Moderators: amerigoV, BigDog

Misc Thoughts

Postby kramday » Wed Jan 03, 2007 10:14 am

I am intending this thread to have more random thoughts that kind of fall outside the parameters of the actual 100 Challenge.

Sore
I realize that whenever you start a new exercise program you are bound to be sore. However, even though it was only seven short months ago, I had forgotten how merely sitting on a bike can make you sore. You just have to actually sit and suffer for a bit until you get used to it. My legs are a little sore from the rides the last couple of days, but they feel a lot better than the rest of my body. My arms, shoulders, and neck feel tight from the position on the bike. My butt hurts from sitting on the rock of a seat. I'm sure both of these things will go away by next week or so, but it rather annoying at the moment.
Last edited by kramday on Thu Feb 01, 2007 11:22 am, edited 1 time in total.
kramday
Commissar
Commissar

Postby kramday » Thu Jan 18, 2007 1:07 am

Boredom Eating
One thing that I have known for a while is that I eat when I get bored. I don't usually eat tons when that is the case, but I do tend to snack a lot. The new workout plan has helped with that because now I am actually out doing stuff on more days of the week. Over the last few months, really probably since I stopped riding my bike at the end of August, I had been just getting off work and then moving from my desk to my couch. I had some things going on every now and then, but not a lot. Sit on the couch, surf the web, and watch TV. Then get bored. Actually, kind of a crappy life when I write it like that. That is an exaggeration, of course, but when summed up like that it is easier for me to see the motivation I currently have. So, anyway, keeping busy has helped with the snacking as well.
kramday
Commissar
Commissar

Postby BigDog » Thu Jan 18, 2007 9:44 am

Good points, good points. Getting out for almost any activity (besides an eating club or a dinner club :oops: ) would be good for cutting down on the snacking. I had a bad day yesterday in that regard. Just couldn't stop snarfing carbs last night after I finally got home. Didn't keep myself busy enough, let myself veg on the couch to bad tv... ah well, new day, new chance to be fit. :)
"Be bold and mighty forces will come to your aid." - Goethe

"I'm shocked! Shocked I say to discover gambling in this establishment!"
"Your winnings Chief Inspector"
"Oh thank you."
BigDog
Double Dog Master
Double Dog Master

Postby kramday » Thu Jan 18, 2007 1:38 pm

Yesterday is Yesterday
Big Dog just mentioned that it is a new day. That is something that I am trying to work on (not just with the health thing, but in general) at the moment. Just because I ate like crap yesterday, doesn't mean that I have to beat myself up about it today and eat like crap again. The opposite is also true, as going to the gym yesterday doesn't necessarily mean that I will do my cardio today. I don't want to sound like the opposite of my habits thread, but it is something that I want to be aware of as well.
kramday
Commissar
Commissar

Postby kramday » Fri Jan 19, 2007 12:09 am

Veggie Burgers
In his new adventure thread, Jeff mentioned veggie burgers.
amerigoV wrote:It tasted better than a veggie burger. Not quite McD's, but I really could not complain.

Now, no bashing veggie burgers on my forums. I ate them all the time, and I actually like them. You usually can't get a veggie burger and expect it to taste like a beef burger. There are some that try to do that, and they usually suck. All they are really trying to do is give your food to you in a convenient, and familiar, way. The burger just makes it easier to eat. So, no bashing veggie burgers.
kramday
Commissar
Commissar

Postby amerigoV » Fri Jan 19, 2007 8:22 am

Did not mean to actually bash. Perhaps I should say that it tasted closer to a real hamburger than those veggie burgers that attempted the same.
Jeffrey...
amerigoV
Sensei
Sensei

Postby amerigoV » Fri Jan 19, 2007 11:59 am

Just a thought - do we want to do a public weigh-in here on the boards? Perhaps give two numbers -- weight and waist size. The latter becomes important as workouts will increase muscle mass, and muscle is heavier than fat. Thus, there may be times you are losing fat (the waist number goes down) but your weight does not change (muscle <=> fat exchange).
Jeffrey...
amerigoV
Sensei
Sensei

Postby BigDog » Fri Jan 19, 2007 12:12 pm

I'd be up for it. I am finding that knowing that people will see my weight on Monday for the Big Loser weigh-in has kept me from doing any "nobody will know" snacking.

Hmmm, have to get a tape measure...

"Oh thank you."
BigDog
Double Dog Master
Double Dog Master

Postby amerigoV » Fri Jan 19, 2007 12:19 pm

BigDog wrote:Hmmm, have to get a tape measure...

I do as well - one of those clothe ones. I guess a backup is to use a belt, then measure it out using a regular tape measure.
Jeffrey...
amerigoV
Sensei
Sensei

Postby kramday » Fri Jan 19, 2007 12:35 pm

Sure, I'll start a thread at some point today since I already have the tape measure. :) I also bought a scale that shows body fat percentage, though I want to compare it to the one that my trainer has. I don't necessarily think that it is wrong, but I want to get a "second opinion" on the number.
kramday
Commissar
Commissar

Postby kramday » Fri Jan 19, 2007 12:41 pm

Well, rather than procrastinate, I set up thread.

http://kramday.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=804

Right now it is set up to track Big, Jeff, and myself. If anyone else wants in, then just let me know.
kramday
Commissar
Commissar

Postby kramday » Sat Jan 20, 2007 7:12 pm

Cheat Meals
I mentioned that I did Donatos last night for my cheat meal. I imagine that after volleyball will be the cheat meal for a while. Anyway, I got curious about how that compared to my cheat meal of the week before. That was the Wendy's Big Bacon Combo. Both meals had the same size Sprite, so I didn't bother checking on those numbers, as they are all sugars.

Donatos Individual Veggie Pizza: 577 Cal, 26.1 G Fat, 4.7 G Fiber, 54.7 G Carbs, 30.8 G Protein (I'm guessing on the Protein based on the calories from the Fat and Carb number. Donatos website doesn't list the Protein number.)

Wendy's Big Bacon Classic: 590 Cal, 30 G Fat, 3 G Fiber, 46 G Carbs, 34 G Protein
Wendy's Small Fries: 490 Cal, 18 G Fat, 5 G Fiber, 58 G Carbs, 5 G Protein
kramday
Commissar
Commissar

Postby kramday » Sat Jan 20, 2007 10:08 pm

ISTJ
This isn't necessarily health related, but I came across this on another site and thought I would take the test. My results were Introverted - Sensing - Thinking - Judging.

Introverted (I) 75% Extroverted (E) 25%
Sensing (S) 53.85% Intuitive (N) 46.15%
Thinking (T) 55.56% Feeling (F) 44.44%
Judging (J) 55.88% Perceiving (P) 44.12%

It also gave this description: "Trustee". Decisiveness in practical affairs. Guardian of time- honored institutions. Dependable. 11.6% of total population.

I can't say that I am all that surprised by any of it.

Free Jung Personality Test (similar to Myers-Briggs/MBTI) is the main page, and the I took this particular test.
kramday
Commissar
Commissar

Postby BigDog » Sun Jan 21, 2007 9:33 am

That's why you do so well as my Rules Expert at the table! :)

"Oh thank you."
BigDog
Double Dog Master
Double Dog Master

Postby kramday » Sun Jan 21, 2007 11:45 pm

Relaxing
BigDog wrote:That's why you do so well as my Rules Expert at the table! :)

I have to confess that one of my goals for the upcoming gaming sessions is to just sit there, have fun, and not worry about the rules as much. If something crazy happens, then I'll point it out. But I'm going to try to be less of a rules lawyer going forward. I don't know that I can change the "Guardian of time- honored institutions" thing in all aspects of my life, but I am going to try at the gaming table. Maybe, if I'm successful, I'll succeed in other areas as well.
kramday
Commissar
Commissar

Next

Return to Health