Misc Thoughts

My attempt to Get Healthy (yet again)

Moderators: amerigoV, BigDog

Postby amerigoV » Sun Feb 11, 2007 11:20 pm

I just found it inconsistent. I check in the mornings to help minimize variance. It may give a general indication, but it certainly does not have much meaning for the small changes (ie, one can take some measure of satisfaction if lose a 1/2 pound).
Jeffrey...
amerigoV
Sensei
Sensei

Postby kramday » Wed Feb 28, 2007 12:38 am

March 100 Challenge
Anyone want to jump on the 100 challenge bandwagon for March?
kramday
Commissar
Commissar

Postby JO » Wed Feb 28, 2007 8:22 am

http://www.amazon.com/Omron-HBF-306-Body-Fat-Analyzer/dp/B00006WNPU/ref=pd_sim_sg_3/103-4571724-5991869

This is what they have at Curves. I have found that the measurements between this and the scale I bought are very different. Annoyingly different. Oh well!
The last thing I want to do is hurt you. But it's still on my list.

Lord, grant me the Serenity. Just that, just grant me the Serenity. I'll take care of the rest! Shiny!
JO
She Who Must Be Obeyed
She Who Must Be Obeyed

Postby kramday » Wed Feb 28, 2007 10:04 am

I think it is a pretty popular device. My scale is pretty consistently about a percent or so higher than the Omron. I used it at the gym last night and it said 28% while my scale has been saying 29% for the last couple of weeks.
kramday
Commissar
Commissar

Postby kramday » Wed Feb 28, 2007 2:35 pm

I got on the scale this morning, as part of my normal morning routine. It said 209.8 lbs. While normally that would have been awesome, it just seemed a little too low. Sure enough it has said 211 the other two times I have gotten on it today. I'm still really happy with the 211, but it was pretty cool to see that weight below 210 if only briefly. :)
kramday
Commissar
Commissar

Postby amerigoV » Wed Feb 28, 2007 3:13 pm

Damn scales. I always check 2-3 times just to make sure it is not yanking my chain.
Jeffrey...
amerigoV
Sensei
Sensei

Postby kramday » Wed Feb 28, 2007 3:15 pm

I usually only get on it once, as this scale has proven very consistent throughout the day. However, I knew the 209.8 had to be low. The 213 on Monday was a little high from my nephew's birthday party, but I knew it couldn't have dropped that much in two days. :D
kramday
Commissar
Commissar

Postby BigDog » Thu Mar 01, 2007 12:50 pm

JO wrote:http://www.amazon.com/Omron-HBF-306-Body-Fat-Analyzer/dp/B00006WNPU/ref=pd_sim_sg_3/103-4571724-5991869

This is what they have at Curves. I have found that the measurements between this and the scale I bought are very different. Annoyingly different. Oh well!

How are things going for you at Curves? I haven't seen any updates here on the forum. Need more encouragement? How do you get time away from the kids to go there consistently?
"Be bold and mighty forces will come to your aid." - Goethe

"I'm shocked! Shocked I say to discover gambling in this establishment!"
"Your winnings Chief Inspector"
"Oh thank you."
BigDog
Double Dog Master
Double Dog Master

Postby JO » Thu Mar 01, 2007 2:22 pm

BigDog wrote:
How are things going for you at Curves?

They aren't. With all the time off from school, Mark out of town and me hurting my knee sled riding, I just haven't been able to go. They are small and do not offer child care so I can only go when I don't have the kids. Normally, I would go Mon, Wed, & Thur when William is in preschool and on Saturday morning when Mark is in town. Unfortunately, preschool closes when Dublin Schools have a snow day and 2 hour delays. I think I calculated that Will was in school 7 of 20 days in Feb. Missing my days at Curves (I have gone 2xs this month) is really bad in Feb since it was my birth month and every time you exercise on that month you get to enter a raffle for $100 worth of stuff and free months at the place.

BigDog wrote:I haven't seen any updates here on the forum. Need more encouragement?

I wish Mother Nature felt the same way. :D

BigDog wrote:How do you get time away from the kids to go there consistently?

hhahhhahaaahahhaahaaahahah :lol: :lol: :lol: Get away, is that possible!
The last thing I want to do is hurt you. But it's still on my list.

Lord, grant me the Serenity. Just that, just grant me the Serenity. I'll take care of the rest! Shiny!
JO
She Who Must Be Obeyed
She Who Must Be Obeyed

Postby BigDog » Thu Mar 01, 2007 2:56 pm

JO wrote:
BigDog wrote:How do you get time away from the kids to go there consistently?

hhahhhahaaahahhaahaaahahah :lol: :lol: :lol: Get away, is that possible!

Thought you'd enjoy that one. ;)
"Be bold and mighty forces will come to your aid." - Goethe

"I'm shocked! Shocked I say to discover gambling in this establishment!"
"Your winnings Chief Inspector"
"Oh thank you."
BigDog
Double Dog Master
Double Dog Master

Postby kramday » Thu Mar 01, 2007 11:16 pm

Bike Trainer
I ended up getting my bike trainer out tonight, since I couldn't get to the gym. I have been getting somewhat excited about riding this year, as the professional season has started. (I figure if I don't give a crap that my favorite football players are probably dopers, then I shouldn't really care that my favorite cyclists might be as well.) Also, I have been thinking a bit about the Tour de Cure, which it looks like I am going to try to do again this year.

Still, the idea of sitting on the trainer just wasn't appealing to me at all. I finally made myself do it a little bit before 10p. The lateness doesn't really bother me, but the dread of doing it wasn't all that fun. Still, once I got on the thing I started cranking along and it actually has me jazzed about it again. I would like to get in more rides on the trainer to help with the discomfort that is always part of the beginning of the season. The only way you can really get used to sitting on a hard ass bike seat is to do it. The same is true with the shoulders and neck supporting your upper body. Although the trainer has been working on those two things as well.

The one thing that showed that the bike has been unloved too long is how dirty it is. It really needs a thorough cleaning here shortly.
kramday
Commissar
Commissar

Postby amerigoV » Fri Mar 02, 2007 7:57 am

kramday wrote:Bike Trainer
(I figure if I don't give a crap that my favorite football players are probably dopers, then I shouldn't really care that my favorite cyclists might be as well.)

Given the money in pro sports (maybe not cycling) and how much a ticket is, I believe we deserve the best that sports science can produce. I say the leagues should be supporting performance enhancing drugs, not curtailing them!
:conan:
Jeffrey...
amerigoV
Sensei
Sensei

Postby kramday » Fri Mar 02, 2007 10:26 am

LOL. There is a ton of money tied up in pro cycling as well. It just isn't as obvious here in the states, since all the big races are in Europe.
kramday
Commissar
Commissar

Postby kramday » Sat Mar 03, 2007 4:26 pm

Fiber35 Diet
I was flipping through the channels right now, and I came across this on PBS. There is more to it than this, but it kind of comes down to: eat more fiber, crap more, lose weight. I keep waiting for Cartman to come out with a testimonial. I really shouldn't make fun, as part of my current plan has been to make sure I am getting a decent amount of fiber each day.

http://www.amazon.com/Fiber35-Diet-Natures-Weight-Secret/dp/1416547185
kramday
Commissar
Commissar

Postby amerigoV » Sat Mar 03, 2007 7:05 pm

I told Christine that I was in shitting distance of 200lbs!
Jeffrey...
amerigoV
Sensei
Sensei

PreviousNext

Return to Health