Davenport is a BIG LOSER!

My attempt to Get Healthy (yet again)

Moderators: amerigoV, BigDog

Davenport is a BIG LOSER!

Postby BigDog » Thu Jan 11, 2007 10:10 am

Yes, I've elected to try this Big Loser gimmick to try and get my own weight down. People at work are doing it so I've joined a team called the "Starving Artists". It's running from Jan 15 to Feb 19 so we'll see how well I can do. Vickie is going to "follow along at home".

I am going to take a picture for motivation, but I doubt I'll have the courage of Mark to post it. I'll try to post some updates here to keep my progress public and keep me on the right track.
"Be bold and mighty forces will come to your aid." - Goethe

"I'm shocked! Shocked I say to discover gambling in this establishment!"
"Your winnings Chief Inspector"
"Oh thank you."
BigDog
Double Dog Master
Double Dog Master

Postby kramday » Thu Jan 11, 2007 10:15 am

That is great. What exactly will you be doing with the "gimmick"? Also, did your new b-ball league start this week?
kramday
Commissar
Commissar

Postby BigDog » Thu Jan 11, 2007 10:23 am

Gimmick: Well the whole thing of public weighing, having to account to more than just myself on losing weight.

Yea I played Tuesday. We're off again next week because of a schedule conflict with the school, but then it should be every week through April. Once a week isn't going to change my physique but it is fun and any exercise is good exercise.

"Oh thank you."
BigDog
Double Dog Master
Double Dog Master

Postby kramday » Thu Jan 11, 2007 10:26 am

Cool. I was just wondering if there was a particular exercise program or diet they encouraged people to follow, or if you were on your own there?
kramday
Commissar
Commissar

Postby BigDog » Thu Jan 11, 2007 10:28 am

There are some programs that are running with it, getting people into the fitness center here (just a liability form to sign) and there will be some speakers I think to help encourage it to be healthy.

"Oh thank you."
BigDog
Double Dog Master
Double Dog Master

Postby BigDog » Mon Jan 15, 2007 2:20 pm

Learned that you can't use the fitness center unless other people are there, so I've elected to make a plan with two guys who run there every day. I'll start with Tues/Thurs and run on the weekend, and see where it goes.

Aaaand day 1 of the "Biggest Loser" I clocked in at 292.5 pounds (with shoes and clothes but no wallet or keys). I've got a long way to go...

"Oh thank you."
BigDog
Double Dog Master
Double Dog Master

Postby kramday » Mon Jan 15, 2007 3:22 pm

That is kind of weird about the fitness center. But I guess they figure if there are at least two people in there then it is safer. How far are you running?
kramday
Commissar
Commissar

Postby BigDog » Mon Jan 15, 2007 3:30 pm

At home I've been jog/walk/jog/walk about two miles. Trying to increase the time spent jogging and reduce the amount spent walking. Not sure how far I'll go at the fitness center, just trying fit it in and a quick shower and back to work.

"Oh thank you."
BigDog
Double Dog Master
Double Dog Master

Postby kramday » Fri Jan 19, 2007 12:11 am

How often do you do the group activities with the Big Loser club, or whatever it is called? And is their approach based solely on weight lost?
kramday
Commissar
Commissar

Postby BigDog » Fri Jan 19, 2007 9:52 am

Yes the only metric is weight loss (like the TV show of the same name), but they are trying to provide a lot of other support so people are adopting healthier habits which, in turn, create weight loss. So encouraging people to use the fitness center, bringing in experts from Lifestyle Family Fitness to give us a talk yesterday, etc.

Finally checked my weight here on the "official" scales here at work. 290. Down 2.5 pounds at the moment. Better than the other direction. :)

Ran at the fitness center yesterday and again this morning when I first got up (damn it was cold out!). Was skipping breakfast in an attempt to reduce caloric intake, but was advised that I was working against my body that way. They recommended eating every 3-4 hours, 5-6 times a day, small amount that add up to the caloric target total and provide sufficient nutrition. So I'm trying that now, seeing if the frequent intake reduces the emotional or bored eating.

Jim

"Oh thank you."
BigDog
Double Dog Master
Double Dog Master

Postby kramday » Fri Jan 19, 2007 10:06 am

I went so far as to actually try to look at my work schedule and try to set time for my lunch and a snack. Obviously things come up and screw it up once in a while, but I do think that it has helped. Eating more frequently has definitely helped me out this month.

2.5 pounds is a great start.
kramday
Commissar
Commissar

Postby amerigoV » Fri Jan 19, 2007 11:54 am

BigDog wrote: Was skipping breakfast in an attempt to reduce caloric intake, but was advised that I was working against my body that way.
Jim

You do not want to skip meals. Our ancient, underlying system reaction is "the famine must be coming." The body tries to store more fat to compensate against the anticipated famine.
Jeffrey...
amerigoV
Sensei
Sensei

Postby BigDog » Fri Jan 19, 2007 12:11 pm

Thanks, Mark.

yea, I had to get past the "positive" feeling of cutting out calories by not eating, and get with the program. Most people I talk to seem to agree (eating regular but small), but some are ardently the other way. One guy has lost 4 pounds in 5 days, eats one meal a day (dinner) and says he lets himself eat as much as he wants then. Seems wrong in a bunch of ways. Also reminds me of the adage that losing a pound a week is the rate most likely to be maintained long term. Faster loss is much more likely to come right back.

"Oh thank you."
BigDog
Double Dog Master
Double Dog Master

Postby amerigoV » Fri Jan 19, 2007 12:20 pm

BigDog wrote:Thanks, Mark.

One guy has lost 4 pounds in 5 days, eats one meal a day (dinner) and says he lets himself eat as much as he wants then.

That will come back to haunt him. Most of that is probably water weight and nothing more. Plus, impossible to stick to (you will probably find him passed out one of these days).
Jeffrey...
amerigoV
Sensei
Sensei

Postby BigDog » Fri Jan 19, 2007 12:22 pm

One guy said he cut way back (like 800 calories a day), went to go for his normal run on the fitness center treadmill and had to stop after half a mile. No gas. Gotta eat to keep the body going or it will start cannibalizing itself, eating up muscle, fat, anything.

"Oh thank you."
BigDog
Double Dog Master
Double Dog Master

Next

Return to Health