March 100 Challenge

My attempt to Get Healthy (yet again)

Moderators: amerigoV, BigDog

March 100 Challenge

Postby kramday » Wed Feb 28, 2007 12:37 am

GOAL: Maintain the Healthy Habits, Add in More Core Work

COMMENT: Like the last two months, I'm not going to throw a number out there as my goal. However, this is a pretty obvious milestone that it would be nice to reach. Still, if I can maintain the habits, the weight will take care of itself. I do want to add in more Core Work though, primarily by adding in work on the stability ball a couple of times a week.

WORKOUT SCHEDULE
Monday: cardio 30 mins and Core Work
Tuesday: cardio 30 mins, WCC 60 mins in evening (w/Personal Trainer)
Wednesday: cardio 30 mins
Thursday: cardio 30 mins, WCC 60 mins in evening
Friday: cardio 30 mins, Core Work, Volleyball in evening
Saturday: Stretching but no actual workout
Sunday: WCC 60 mins

MEAL SCHEDULE
Four meals per day, one cheat meal per week.

STARTING STATS
WEIGHT: 211 pounds
BODY FAT: %

END STATS
WEIGHT: 207 pounds
BODY FAT: 27%, from scale

KNOWN EXCEPTIONS
Mar 1st: My car is still at the shop, so I'm not sure I'm going to make it to the gym this night. Therefore, I will commit to doing the stationary bike that night if I don't have my car.
Mar 8th: I am meeting an old friend for a Happy Hour on this day. So, I'll do the cardio during the day, but I won't be going to the gym that night.
Mar 13th: My trainer is out of town on this day, so I am meeting her at the gym on Monday (the 12th) instead.
Mar 23rd and 30th: The volleyball league actually ends on the 16th. I might try to get to the gym on these nights, but I might also just take them as extra rest days for the month. I will still do the cardio during the day though.
Mar 27th and 28th: I am watching my nephew on these two days. That might mean that I won't get to do my cardio during the day. It shouldn't be as much of an issue on the 28th, as I would just do it in the evening then.

DAILY LOG

MAR 1: My car is still at the shop, so no gym tonight. I wasn't really looking forward to getting on the stationary bike, but I made myself do it. It actually turned into a really nice ride, where I pushed a lot harder than I thought I would.
-0 points [100 points]

MAR 2: The running theme from volleyball continued again, as I felt like someone just hammered me. We actually played back to back games, without a break in between, and all the games went to a third set. Those two things I think made it an even rougher night. I think the bike trainer might have played a part as my shoulders were very sore in particular. I got on the Gazelle before volleyball as well, which actually felt pretty good. Afterwards, we went to Max & Ermas for the cheat me. I didn't do to bad compared to a normal cheat, but there was Swiss cheese on the grilled chicken, fries, and a beer. So, it definitely counted as a cheat me.
-0 points [100 points]

MAR 3: As usual, I felt pretty good the day after volleyball. Definitely better than I felt the night before. The one weird thing about today though was that I woke up at 6:30a and just couldn't get back to sleep. I have no idea why, and I eventually fell asleep for a couple of hours on the couch around 10:30a or so. But it was very strange for me to be up at that time of the morning.
-0 points [100 points]

MAR 4: I made it to the gym today, and it felt good to be back into that routine. I really only missed one day (Thursday), but being without the car made me feel like I was completely out of my normal, established habits. Anyway, back to the gym today and it felt good. I only did cardio, with a half-hour on the stationary bike and 15 mins on the recumbent. They were pretty crowded, so I didn't have the option to get on an elliptical machine.
-0 points [100 points]

MAR 5: Today was a pretty good day. I was a little bummed with the number on the scale, up .6 pounds since the middle of last week. Still, not really all that bummed, as I think it was a blip of timing. Lately, my Mondays have been a little higher than the rest of the week. Regardless, I got on the Gazelle today and that felt pretty good. Also, to start with my extra core work I did two sets of 25 crunches on the stability ball. I felt that was a pretty good start.
-0 points [100 points]

MAR 6: Another really good day today. The Gazelle felt really good at lunch, and then the gym was a killer workout. I hit the stationary bike for a hard 18 minutes before working out with the trainer. The workout was a modified super set routine that had me definitely feeling it. I then got on the elliptical for a pretty hard half hour as well.
-0 points [100 points]

MAR 7: I didn't get on the Gazelle today, as I elected to shovel snow instead. It turned out that it would have melted anyway, but it was a nice distraction. I did not do any Core Work, as that was poor planning on my part. To do Core work on Monday on my own and Tuesday with the trainer, just made it unlikely that I will do it on Wednesdays. Therefore, I changed the Core Work from Wednesday to Friday.
-0 points [100 points]

MAR 8: I am not dinging myself for the cheat meal and not going to the gym, as today was a stated exception at the beginning of the month. However, I never got in any cardio during the day either. Overall, it was a nice day off though. It felt good to simply recharge the batteries and not be swamped at work or still recovering from volleyball the night before.
-1 points [99 points]

MAR 9: Shock of shocks, I felt like someone hit me with a baseball bat after volleyball. If anything, it was actually even worse today. I ended up playing for three hours instead of two. A couple of teams only had a few people show up, so those of us that were just there hanging out ended up playing. It was a lot of fun though. Afterewards, we went to Damon's. I had to ding myself a point though, because I completely forgot to do any Core work. It was a little frustrating, because I was actually at the gym before volleyball to sign up for a yoga class next month. I did some cardio there, but the Core work just completely slipped my mind.
-1 points [98 points]

MAR 10: As usual, I am feeling a lot better today. I actually had a massage scheduled today, which definitely helped with that. I think I need to buy a new pair of shoes though, as I am feeling the volleyball more in my feet the last couple of weeks. While the weather was not as nice today as yesterday, I did decided to get out on the bike. I rode the hybrid rather than the road bike, and did the same bike path route that I rode a lot the summer before last. This particular ride turned out to be a little less than 10 miles (9.92) in about 44 mins. That is slow for the peak of the season, but it didn't seem too bad for a first ride. The wind definitely contributed to that as well.
-0 points [98 points]

MAR 11: I decided to ride the bike again today instead of going to the gym. It felt a lot better, even though the times were very similiar. I also visited my sister and mom tonight, so it was nice to have some of her cooking that I didn't have to heat up first.
-0 points [98 points]

MAR 12: Today was an excellent day. I got on the Gazelle at lunch and that felt pretty good. I hadn't been on it during lunch for a while, and it was a good motivation for the rest of the day. I met the trainer at the gym, and I was very pleased with the session. It was a pretty heavy workout, plus I did 18 mins on the stationary bike beforehand and 30 mins on the elliptical afterwards. I then sat in the whirlpool for a 20 mins to cap it off.
-0 points [98 points]

MAR 13: Since I met the trainer at the gym last night, today was technically an off day. However, with the warm weather I was hoping to ride my bike again. I talked myself out of that though, as it was pretty damn windy and that is one of the worst things to deal with on a bike. So instead I went for a nice walk so I wouldn't feel like a complete slacker.
-0 points [98 points]

MAR 14: Today was another good day. I got on the Gazelle at lunch and the met my dad for dinner. We went to Applebee's and I got their Confetti Chicken, which is a fairly healthy choice. Then later on at night I went for a walk.
-0 points [98 points]

MAR 15: Another excellent workout at the gym tonight. It was funny as their was almost no one there, the only thing that I can think of is the OSU game. I also bought a personal sauna and tried that out tonight. It might be a little cramped, but I'll see how it goes after a couple of times using it. It did produce a decent sweat at the medium setting, so the next time I'm going to try the next highest to see what that feels like.
-0 points [98 points]

MAR 16: Once again, volleyball equals beating with a baseball bat. I am probably actually even more sore than normal, as it was the last night of the season. So, I actually hit the floor going after a couple of balls. It was a fun night though and there is talk of trying to play during the summer again. We haven't played much at all the last two years, so that would be a lot of fun.
-0 points [98 points]

MAR 17: I am slowly feeling better today. I did stretch out, which felt really good. Also, I got back into the personal sauna tonight. It was definitely more comfortable tonight, and the highest setting produced a really good sweat. So, I'm pretty happy with the way that it is turning out.
-0 points [98 points]

MAR 18: I made it to the gym today, doing a half-hour of elliptical and 15 mins on the stationary bike. I did stretch some more as well, which felt pretty good. But my back still feels a little tweaked from volleyball. I am going to the chiropractor on Tuesday and I think I really need that appointment.
-0 points [98 points]

MAR 19: Today was another decent day, but I was still pretty damn sore from volleyball. Also, I'm dinging myself a point because of all the snacking I did at gaming. There were lots of cookies and chips/pretzels (hot buffalo wing pretzels are pretty tasty) last night.
-1 points [97 points]

MAR 20: A very mixed day today. I went to the chiropractor today, which I definitely needed. Then I went to the dentist for a cleaning, and then the gym to meet the trainer. I did the fitness measurements, and I was pretty pleased with the results. I am dinging myself though, as I never made it onto the Gazelle during the day. I should have listed it as an known exception with both the chiropractor and dentist appointments, but I didn't.
-1 points [96 points]

MAR 21: I would categorize this as my first really bad day in a while. I was kind of sore from the fitness tests, and just really tired. Maybe from the crappy weather. Anyway, I ordered a pizza and ate the whole thing. Then later on I went to the grocery store to get a few things for lunch and grabbed a candy bar as well. I didn't get on the Gazelle, but I did take a 20 min walk so I'm not dinging myself for that as well.
-1 points [95 points]

MAR 22: The crappy day from yesterday continued for a lot of today. I did get on the Gazelle at lunch, but even that didn't really get me going. I also didn't go to the gym, as I went and bought a new laptop tonight. However, late tonight I made myself get on the stationary bike and I think I snapped out of the funk. I went really, really hard and it felt awesome. So, I'm very pleased with that.
-0 points [95 points]

MAR 23: No volleyball today, so I don't feel like anyone hit me with a baseball bat. I do kind of have a headache from dealing with the new laptop though. Oh well, I managed to eat fairly well and get on the Gazelle today, so mission accomplished. Oh yeah, I did some ball crunches for my Core work.
-0 points [95 points]

MAR 24: I feel pretty decent today. I thought about going to the gym or riding my bike, even though it is technically an off day except for stretching. In the end, I just decided to go for a walk and I'll hit the gym tomorrow. It should be a good workout at the gym, with no volleyball.
-0 points [95 points]

MAR 25: I couldn't let two nice days in a row go by without getting on the bike. Once again, it was the hybrid on the bike paths, though the wind was the opposite direction this time. Instead of a tailwind on the way back, I had it on the way out to Maxtown. I managed to take about a minute off the time of the last ride though, so that felt pretty good.
-0 points [95 points]

MAR 26: A really good day today. I ate pretty well and actually made it to the gym with Kludy tonight. I hit the elliptical and stationary bike pretty hard, plus it was like an oven in the gym. I then did some ball crunches and planks for my Core work, then went for a walk when I got home.
-0 points [95 points

MAR 27: Today was a pretty tiring day. I got up extra early to babysit my nephew and was just tired all day, even after a nap. Actually, the nap might have made it worse. Also, I think the previous night at the gym was still with me as well. As a result, I never made it to the gym at night, and the listed exception was only for the cardio during the day.
-1 points [94 points]

MAR 28: Today wasn't as bad as yesterday, even though I still got up earlier than normal. I did get on the Gazelle later at night, as my nephew left and that actually felt pretty good.
-0 points [94 points]

MAR 29: Today was one of the few days that felt normal lately. I got on the Gazelle at lunch and then went to the gym after work. I also ate as planned, which is always a huge plus.
-0 points [94 points]

MAR 30: Today I got on the Gazelle in the evening and did some ball crunches. I met my dad today, so I just had a couple of turkey sandwiches on the go. A decent day.
-0 points [94 points]

MAR 31: I did my cheat meal tonight, with going to McDonald's for a Chicken Selects meal. It was alright, and it ended a pretty lazy day.
-0 points [94 points]
Last edited by kramday on Sun Apr 01, 2007 1:29 pm, edited 14 times in total.
kramday
Commissar
Commissar

Postby kramday » Thu Mar 15, 2007 10:36 pm

Mid-Month Check-in
Here are the numbers through the 15th.

Current Weight: 208.4
Weight lost: 2.6 pounds
Trips to the Gym: 4
Workouts on the Gazelle: 7
Volleyball Nights: 2
Bike Rides: 2 (20.04 miles)
Stationary Bike Rides: 1

I am still feeling pretty good with the weight loss, but it has slowed down some this month. There have been several days that have fluctuated between being above and below 210.
kramday
Commissar
Commissar

Postby kramday » Sun Apr 01, 2007 1:37 pm

Final Stats
Here are the final numbers.

Final Weight: 207
Weight Lost: 4 pounds
Bike Rides: 3 (30.14 miles)
Workouts on the Gazelle: 13
Stationary Bike Rides: 2 (14.99 miles)
Volleyball Nights: 3
Trips to the Gym: 8

The weight loss slowed down, but it was a much more "social" month this time. There were a lot more dinners and lunches with people. Even though not all of them were bad, I probably ended up eating more at those meals than I would have if I had eaten at home. Also, the lunches meant that I wasn't doing the Gazelle quite as much or during the day. I think there is a big psychological benefit to doing it during the day, as it sets my mental focus for the rest of the day. I need to strike more of a balance with that next month.
kramday
Commissar
Commissar

Return to Health